houndsie happenings RSS

2 Organic Tips to Save Hundreds on Vet Bills

Hey Houndsie, do you PANIC when your vet says these six little words 'YOUR PUP NEEDS A TEETH CLEANING'?  Do any of these thoughts go through your mind -  1) OMG, my pup has to go under w/anesthesia  2) dental cleaning is expensive (and double or triple that if you have more than one dog)!

I knew I had to find a way to avoid dental cleaning, because when we first got Asha she had JUST had her teeth cleaned.  A handful of months later, she was needing another teeth cleaning!  PANIC!  I'm sure there are pups out there who don't have dental problems, but if your pup has bad teeth and needs dental cleaning often or if you want to avoid the cleanings as much as possible, read on.

Here's what I've done and it's worked so far for years with no dental cleaning required (quite a difference compared to every few months!)...

BRUSH TEETH EVERY NIGHT (or even a few times a week) - I've been brushing my greyhounds teeth every night (up until a few months ago, it was every other night - and sure, I have to admit that there are times when I miss a night)... they get a snack (a spoonful of Wellness grain-free canned food), and then they walk over to me to get their teeth brushed (they like routine and the toothpaste tastes good!).  The toothpaste I'm using right now is called EZ Dog Pet Toothpaste - vanilla flavor, from my favorite pet store, Kriser's.  And I use a plastic finger brush.  I know, adding one more task to your day can seem overwhelming, but once you get used to it, it's easy peazy!  And WELL worth it!  I've heard that even if you can brush their teeth a couple of times a week, it's helpful.

SCALE TEETH ONCE A YEAR - Scaling is using a dental tool to pick the plaque off of the teeth.  You can scale them yourself (I would check out you tube for 'how')  OR  what I do is have someone do it for me, as I'm not comfortable with it.

These two steps have helped me avoid those nasty words 'YOUR PUP NEEDS A TEETH CLEANING'!  Write a comment for other suggestions, would love to hear what you do!

Whoop! Whoop!  Lovin' clean doggie teeth,

love dog . love art . live now

Kathleen Naomi Atkins January 12, 2014 1 tags (show)

Comments

Cheryl

Cheryl said:

Kathleen, I used to brush my dog’s teeth regularly but it can be difficult. I will be more diligent in my efforts. Thanks for the information.

Kathleen Naomi Atkins

Kathleen Naomi Atkins said:

YW Cheryl!

Elizabeth MacLeod

Elizabeth MacLeod said:

I don’t have dogs… but I have cats… I cleaned my first cats teeth all the time. People thought I was nuts…but she didn’t have bad breath and didn’t have teeth problems with the vet… however, I didn’t do it with my little persian as she was finicky… and well, let’s just say, I wish I had… finicky or not… because it DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE…and I’m delighted to see you talking about it here. It helps our wallet AND their sweet little selves…. oxo

Kathleen Naomi Atkins

Kathleen Naomi Atkins said:

Love it Elizabeth! Yes, cats need clean teeth too – makes a difference, as you said :)

Sue Ann Gleason

Sue Ann Gleason said:

I no longer have a puppy to care for but I love these tips and I will be sure to send my friends your way. “Lovin’ clean doggie teeth.” ;-)

april

april said:

what a great video (and what well-behaved and beautiful dogs)! i’m curious though . . . do they need to “rinse” their mouths since you’re using toothpaste? or does dog toothpaste dissolve differently?

Kathleen Naomi Atkins

Kathleen Naomi Atkins said:

Thanks for sharing Sue Ann !

Good question April – yes, dog toothpaste has ingredients that are okay for dogs to ingest (people toothpaste should never be used). Thanks for the compliments about my pups, they are my sweeties :)

Karen Yankovich

Karen Yankovich said:

Oh Boy. I’m clearly not a good doggie mother. I let my groomer clean my puppy’s teeth, which is like once a month. Going doggie toothbrush shopping now. Thanks for the tips!

Kathleen Naomi Atkins

Kathleen Naomi Atkins said:

LOL Karen! I KNOW you’re a good doggie mother :) Your pup may not need brushing so often.

Bon

Bon said:

Great tips… and considering how expensive and risky sedated cleanings are in an older pet’s life, this is important stuff!

Kathleen Naomi Atkins

Kathleen Naomi Atkins said:

Good point Bon! Sedated cleanings do get riskier as they get older.