houndsie happenings RSS

Why do Doberman's get a Bad Rap?

Hello, my name is Ace.  I'm 2 yrs old and am looking for my forever family.
You can find me at    Illinois Doberman Rescue Plus.

Dear Houndsie,

Raise your hand if you think Doberman's are mean - yep, both hands raised here!  I've always been a little intimidated by them (ok, maybe a lot), until I recently had a heart to heart with Lauren Kelliher.  Lauren is the Board Secretary (volunteer) for Illinois Doberman Rescue Plus.  Lauren says that Dobes (that's lingo for Doberman), are actually very GOOFY and PLAYFUL.  They're extremely LOVING Pups to their family and are often called 'velcro' dogs because they never want to leave the side of the person petting them!  Basically, people think they look mean because of the cropped ears and docked tail.  When their ears aren't cropped, it's hard to recognize them as a Dobe.  Lauren also mentioned that a tax collector created this breed in Germany to be loyal to him and bark at other people and look intimidating (did he succeed?  hell ya!).  So of course I had to look him up on Wikipedia.... his name is Karl Friedrich Louis Dobermann and he created the breed around 1890.  And yes, he was a local tax collector who also ran a dog pound.  Back in the day, being a tax collector was a very dangerous job, so he decided to create a breed that could protect him during his collections... from the dogs at the pound!  Smart fellow!  And here are some other dobe traits... very LOYAL, INTELLIGENT, and they need a JOB (how about laundry?).  They excel in obedience and agility and if you're interested in this type of pup, you'll need to give him or her something to do or he/she will find something to do and you may not like it!  If you're looking for a couch potato, you'll have to look elsewhere.

As I mentioned, Lauren is a volunteer for IL Doberman Rescue Plus .... hmmm, I can't imagine what this group does?  LOL, more than you think, more than you think!  Of course they rescue Doberman's, they are 100% volunteers, and ALL donations go directly to helping the animals.  And what is the 'Plus' for?  This group also rescues other dog breeds, mixes, and cats... even a guinea pig on occasion!  They don't have a facility but are a network of foster homes all over IL and surrounding states.  They take as many dogs as they can, even older animals and those with medical issues.  For more info on this precious group, click here - Illinois Doberman Rescue Plus ... maybe you're interested in sending a donation to help the animals, or maybe you realize that a doberman is exactly the type of dog you're looking for, or maybe you just want to see all the cute pups up for adoption :-)  In any event, sending lots of love to all the cool volunteers!  We LOVE what you do for the Dobes and 'Plus'!

And a big thank you to Lauren Kelliher, for her love of the dogs and for taking the time to break some of those myths about this goofy intelligent breed - the Dobe!  I am looking forward to spending time with the next cutie-pie Dobe I see.

Kathleen Naomi Atkins October 10, 2013 1 tags (show)

Comments

Thomas Schinke

Thomas Schinke said:

Hello Kathleen,

I have had many dogs over the years including 4 Dobes. My last Dobe died at 14 years old some 20+ years ago. It took us 10 years before we could even look for another dog. Our Angel was the love of our life and it was hard to see her go.

We have adopted a male Dobe from IDR a little over a year ago and he is a very good,great boy. I saw a picture of Jake on IDR and just knew he needed us as we did him. Do your self a favor and take the time to get to know a Dobe you won’t be sorry.

We now have three dogs, a 12 year old Lab, a 3 year old Black and Tan Coon Hound and our boy Jake, he is 2. It took a long time to get another Dobe but now we will only have Dobes and always will adopt.
IDR is the best and when the time is right we will again pay them a visit.

Tom Schinke.

Kathleen Naomi Atkins

Kathleen Naomi Atkins said:

Hi Tom,

Thank you for sharing your story about Dobes and IDR! I can totally understand your connection and love for Angel. And I’m glad that you’ve adopted Jake now. When it’s meant to be, you just know it – and you ‘knew’ it when you saw a picture of Jake on IDR – isn’t it amazing how the universe works! Wow, you have quite the clan, three lucky pups! I look forward to getting to know Dobes better and am so thankful for IDR.

Again, it’s great to hear from you,
Kathleen

Sue

Sue said:

We have a beautiful 5 year old female Dobie.She is the love of my life,all 135 pounds of her.My daughter and I got her when my husband was dying from cancer.She is by my side all the time.She loves kids and is so gentle.I would love to take Ace.

karen

karen said:

You forgot to mention they are naturally stranger weary. A good one is anyway. I have one Goofy that would help a burglar carry stuff out, and another that puts the fear of God in anyone that comes over he doesn’t know. Since I had three home invasions in less than one year I consider the dog that does what Lois Doberman bred them to do the valuable dog that is true to the breed. One like my Cujo (earned the name) deserve the reputation they have. Is it “bad”? That is according to your personal perspective.

Wendy

Wendy said:

Great post on one of my favorite dog breeds! My husband and I had a dobe, General, for the first 7 years of our marriage. Such a tall, funny, swift, agile, sophisticated, handsome, powerful, intelligent “leaner” he was! He was our first child and a great big brother to our three sons. After General was gone for about 3 years, we decided to start looking for another dobe. Browsing through the Illinois Doberman Rescue Plus (IDR+) website, we found the next member of our family – a big, young, goofy, playful, black and white mutt with one blue eye and one brown eye that we named Banjo. Even though we didn’t end up with another doberman, IDR+ gave us the opportunity to rescue a pretty cool dog. Thank you for highlighting this great program!

Kathleen Naomi Atkins

Kathleen Naomi Atkins said:

Sue, so sorry to hear about your husband – Dobie sounds like a sweetie and a rock for you and your daughter. Let us know if you take Ace, that would be Super Exciting :-)

xo Kathleen

Kathleen Naomi Atkins

Kathleen Naomi Atkins said:

Hi Karen,

You bring up an interesting topic of debate, love it. I can understand what you’re saying and wonder what the majority of pup owners think – I have two greyhounds and my girl is like one of yours – she would be giving the burglar kisses, whereas my boy has a deep menacing bark… I do make him stop. But I tell ya, one morning in the winter when I was walking them very early when it was still dark, and I was picking up some poop and wasn’t paying attention – and there was a guy who suddenly appeared right by us and my boy was barking deeply, I was glad.

thnx, Kathleen

Kathleen Naomi Atkins

Kathleen Naomi Atkins said:

Wendy – thank you for sharing your story, LOVE it :-) It warms my heart to bring awareness to a soulful group like IDR – it’s for the pups! xo Kathleen

Roxanna

Roxanna said:

I been surfing online more than seven hours today for http://drupal.sanjay149.com/content/interior-painting-calgary & Why do
Doberman’s get a Bad Rap? , yet I never found any interesting article like yours.

It is pretty worth enough for me. In my view, if all web owners and bloggers made good content as
you did, the net will be much more useful than ever
before.